Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Artist Ray Villafane

The quick and the dead: The artist who carves petrifying pumpkin portraits in just two hours


Last updated at 4:02 PM on 27th October 2010

It takes several months to grow the fruit but amazingly just two hours for artist Ray Villafane to sculpt these terrifyingly detailed portraits out of pumpkin.
The American model designer and former art teacher uses spoons and a scalpel to carve the innocent orange gourds into Halloween horrors in double quick time.
As you might expect Villafane, who has worked for D.C and Marvel comics, is very particular about his pumpkins.

Not all pumpkins will look good and the most important thing about a pumpkin is its weight,' he says.
'You need to pick the meatiest pumpkin.
'Sometimes I pick up a beautifully shaped pumpkin but when I do I realize that it is not heavy enough. Its wall is just not thick enough for the carving rigors.
'I also like a pumpkin with character. One with nobly ridges is good, so that I can utilize that in the carving procedure, like with sculpting noses.'
Villafane, 41, has become a minor celebrity in the States and his weird and wonderful work has featured on a range of TV programmes.
Yet he stumbled on his fruity talent almost by accident.

'I used to be an art teacher for 13 years at a Michigan School called Bellaire school and one day I was approached for Halloween to do some pumpkin carving,' he said.
'Sculpting has always been a passion. I thought why don't I try and carve the pumpkin like it is a piece of clay as opposed to a large vegetable.
'It came out alright, but the most important result was that the kids at the school absolutely loved it.
'I used to arrive at school and there would be a dozen pumpkins just sitting there waiting for me at my classroom.'
Villafane, who is still based in Bellaire, didn't perfect his art immediately and had to punch a lot of pumpkins in frustration while honing his skills.

However, working for D.C comics - the home of Superman and Batman - has helped him honed his talent.
Over the last four Octobers his pumpkins have raised his profile to the point where he has become something of a Halloween staple on TV and across the internet.
'For the past couple of years I have been really sitting down and giving my Halloween pumpkin designs more thought than usual due to the increased interest in my carvings,' he said.
'Now that the thing has grown in popularity I am definitely feeling the pressure to deliver on the pumpkin front.
'The most intricate pumpkin model that I have designed is the Zipperhead model, which took the best part of a day. Otherwise, the models take a couple of hours.
'If it is something that I am creating myself then I will do it off the top of my head, like the skulls and gargoyles. They are a pleasure to make.'




8 comments:

  1. The way he made the pumpkin look scary was awesome.

    Carlos and Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy's work is far from ordinary, and every single sculpture has details. After looking at them for a long time you forget that their pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw this episode on the food network i think it was called Pumpkin carvers something. lol. But my favorite one was the one where the lady carved a three headed monster from one huge giant pumpkin. The winner was actually this guy here Ray Villafane. His winner pumpkin was this awesome detailed skull with so much light.He was so precise.it was awesome.-samantha batt

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a really good pumpkin carver. I really liked the Indian pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww thatz kul i wana try that wen i get home

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the love of science, only 2 hours?

    Had I read this entire post not knowing it was in two hours, I would have assumed it took days. I would love to see a full length video of him carving these! This is absolutely amazing art.

    Gaige McCumbers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome. I could never do anything like that. I carved a pumpkin a week before Halloween but it looked really bad and by Halloween the pumpkin was rotting and looked real ugly. I put it by my front door outside and now it's sitting on my mailbox. Just today, when I got home from school, I looked at it by the mailbox and said, "gross, you're ugly," or something like that.

    -Erin O'Toole
    9th grade
    6th period

    ReplyDelete